Welcome to Saturday Bagels! As my first post, I was hoping for this to be a bit more timely. “New year, new me!” But honestly, this whole goal setting thing is new to me so being only a few days behind in posting them is somewhat of an accomplishment.
I wrote my goals on January 1st this year and launching Saturday Bagels on the blog and Instagram was number one on the list. You must be thinking, “Woohoo! Good for you! You’ve reached a goal in the first week of the new year!” But you’d be fooled. Launching Saturday Bagels was on my list last year too.
The first time I ever considered writing goals was one year and two days ago on the first day of 2016. I wrote them in the same notebook you see above with “Master Plan” printed on the cover. I was sitting in a Starbucks at NYU just a few weeks before starting my first class in the nutrition program and felt like I had a million things to accomplish. It was hard, but I narrowed it down and they were great! I had every day, short-term and long-term goals with three in each category. But then I didn’t look at them again until about 362 days later. Somehow, I had completed five of those goals and had taken the right steps to complete number six only a few days behind schedule. Meaning either my goals weren’t actually goals and just things I would have done this past year anyway or somehow they stuck with me subconsciously. I prefer to think it is the latter, just putting something out in the universe can make it happen...right?
That said, I wasn’t entirely sure I was ready to launch the blog when I put it at the top of my list for this year. Last year I had created an extremely detailed content plan and set out to learn everything about the blogging world before actually posting anything. If you follow along with me, you’ll learn quickly that I’m a perfectionist which is definitely what held me back from accomplishing this goal last year. Either I’m crazy or I’m learning to relax a little bit because if I’m being completely transparent, I totally do not feel prepared with all the knowledge I thought I needed to jump into blogging. But here I am, and I hope you’ll join me on this journey of health and happiness! Take a look at the About page to see some more details on what I want to accomplish with this blog and learn a little more about me, Meghan.
Saturday Bagels isn’t my only goal for this year. So what else am I aiming to accomplish? I took a page from last year and went with immediate and long term goals.
Goals for the Immediate Future
1. Slow down and eat more mindfully, enjoying each bite. I'm one of those people who grew up in a family of speedy eaters. Meaning we would be done with Thanksgiving dinner in under 20 minutes with my dad always finishing first. My husband is also a quick eater and I find myself scarfing down my food trying to keep up. This year, I'm striving to remember to take a pause and relish in the delicious meal in front of me.
2. Surround myself with positive influences, specifically people and food, while actively avoiding negativity on a daily basis. It is so easy to get sucked in to other people's negativity, and trying to avoid it can be tiring too but it is so worth it in the end.
3. Bring Oscar with me on a long walk or jog at least once per week. This adorable pooch could outrun me any day of the week, but living in an apartment can cause even the most energetic dog to become a lazy bum. See below.
3. Do something new with Tom, my husband, at least once a month. After we moved to the Bronx from the Upper East Side a few months ago I’m starting to feel the boring married couple title creeping in and I’d like to avoid that as much as possible! Manhattan is just a few subway stops away and it would be silly if we didn’t still take advantage of it.
1. Launch Saturday Bagels. (Check!)
2. Tackle one really big thing that scares the crap out of me. (Does this blog count?)
3. Save a significant amount of money toward a down payment on a house. I love the Northeast, though I could do without the cold, but buying a house here while in grad school seems nearly impossible. Baby steps.
Well, there you have it! Hopefully I’ll remember to look at these before December.
Check back each week to see some of my health tips and life adventures.